There are 15 short and 13 long term side effects of keto diet. Where there is no side effect, there is no effect. So what we eat, they have both negative and positive effects (more or less).
“Keto” is a name of hope for many overweight people. When they try every possible way to get rid of extra pounds, they think they still have their trump card “Keto Diet”. What is the keto diet actually like? You may also like our recent publication on how keto causes hair loss and how to prevent it.
The term “ketogenic” refers to a low-carb diet. The main goal is to consume more calories from protein and fat while consuming fewer calories from carbohydrates. You have to cut all the carbs that are easiest to digest, such as sugar, soda, pastries, and white bread, and so on. The diet is effective for sure but is not beyond flaws.
Even if the bad effects of ketogenic diets are less helpful than anticonvulsant medicines used for the treatment of epilepsy, a number of unwanted effects may occur to persons following the diet.
You may also like our other publication: How Eating Less Make You Lose Weight
02 Types Side Effects of Keto Diet
#15 Side Effects of Keto Diet (Short Term)
At the commencement of the process, there are a number of short-term side effects, especially when patients begin the diet in an initial fast period.
The prevalent side effect of hypoglycemia in this scenario may include:
- Excessive thirst
- Urination on a regular basis
- Excessive Hunger
- Confusion, anxiety
- Timidity and shakiness
- Chills and sweating
- Constipation and low-grade
- Bad breath
- Abnormal menstrual periods, →decreased bone density
- Sleep problems
Acidosis is another possible side effect. These effects tend to improve as the body continues to adjust to the changes in diet and how it generates energy. Let’s see how eating less causes constipation and how to prevent it.
Side Effects of Keto Diet in the Long Term
One of the most severe effects of the long term is compositional changes in the blood. There are many changes in the blood composition of people who follow the ketogenic diet as a result of changes in dietary consumption and the body’s adaptation mechanisms to cope with the reduced carbohydrate intake.
Lipid and cholesterol levels in the blood, for instance, are frequently greater than what is considered normal. Over 60% of patients have increased lipid levels and over 30% have elevated cholesterol. You may check: Which Juice Lose Weight in a Week
If such alterations are deep and the condition of the child is somewhat concerned, the patient’s diet may be somewhat altered. For example, polyunsaturated fats can be replaced by saturated fat sources. The ketogenic ratio may be reduced and the fat percentage to carbohydrate and protein in the diet reduced in some circumstances.
But there are some side effects which you need to know before starting this diet __
#13 Long Term Side Effects of Keto Diet
01. Keto Flu
Kristen Kizer, RD, a dietitian at Houston Methodist Medical Center, explains that some patients report feeling nauseous when they first start ketosis. “Vomit, stomach distress, a great deal of tiredness, and lethargy may sometimes occur.” She says that this so-called keto flu generally happens after a few days.
Most people experience the keto flu for around a week. Most people are aware of keto flu which can occur when starting a diet. It’s due to the body’s adaptation to the low-carb diet. When you eat fewer carbs, your body is forced to burn ketones instead of glucose for energy. The keto diet is effective after the body is in ketosis, which means it is burning fat instead of glucose. However, you may not feel fantastic at first, which is why it’s called the keto flu.
Furthermore, because carbs provide energy and stimulation, eliminating this source of energy may result in increased sugar addiction, brain fog, difficulties concentrating, similar to most other withdrawal symptoms.”
The keto flu lasts roughly a week for most people.
02. Keto Diet Side Effects Diarrhea Frequently
It is the second most common side effect of the keto diet. A brief internet search will reveal that you are not alone if you find yourself needing to go to the bathroom more frequently when on a ketogenic diet. This may be because the gallbladder, the organ that creates bile, is “overwhelmed,” Axe explains, to assist in breaking down fat in the diet.
Kizer points out that diarrhea can also be caused by a lack of fiber in the keto diet, which can occur if somebody cut down carbs (such as whole-grain bread and pasta) and does not supplement them with other rich fiber meals, such as vegetables. It could also be caused by a dairy or artificial sweetener intolerance—things you’ve been consuming more of since going keto. Let’s see the best foods that lose belly fat.
03. Reduced Athletic Performance
Some sportsmen say that their diet is ketogenic, not simply because they lose weight but because they perform better. But Edward Weiss, Ph.D. at the University of Saint Louis’s Associate Professor of Food and Nutrition, does not agree. “I always hear bikers telling me, ‘Well, how much weight have you lost,’ they say they’re faster and better now that they’re on their diet for the kéto?”
Weiss and his colleagues have shown that in a recent study in the Journal, after four days on the ketogenic diet, they had less work in high-intensity cycling and running tasks than they had for four days back before the ketogenic diet. Weiss emphasizes the organism is in a more acidic condition when in ketosis, and its performance at high levels can therefore be reduced.
“It is just a loss of a couple of pounds that gives you a big benefit on the bike, but I am very concerned about the benefit of a ketogenic diet as a result of weight loss,” continues Weiss. ” In practice, weight loss benefits could at least be largely eliminated through performance impairments.”
You shouldn’t follow the Keto diet if you’ve had type 1 or type 2 diabetes unless you are approved and closely supervised, Kizer advises. “Ketosis can be beneficial for those with hyperglycemia concerns, but you must be very aware of your blood sugar levels and monitor them multiple times a day,” she explains.
This is because ketosis can lead to a hazardous disease called ketoacidosis in diabetics. That happens if the body stores too many ketones – burning fat acids, which can damage the liver, kidneys, and brain – and blood becomes excessively acidic. It can be lethal if left untreated.
05. Regaining Weight
Since the keto diet is so rigorous, health professionals warn it isn’t a long-term healthy eating plan. It is advised that 30 to 90 days are best done, followed by a more sustainable diet, However, Kizer adds the difficulty with this is that most people will regain much of their weight when they return to carbohydrates.
“It’s a concern with any fad diet,” Kizer says, “but it seems to be most common with ketosis.” “I always say to them, ‘Watch, nearly guarantee that they will gain back all of it,’ when individuals tell me they want to try it since their friends have lost weight. Let’s see how lemon juice loses weight and belly fat.
These back-and-forth weight fluctuations, according to Kizer, might contribute to disordered eating or exacerbate an existing problematic connection with food. She believes the keto diet appeals to people who struggle with portion management and binge eating. In many situations, what people need to get to the root of these difficulties is a lifestyle.
06. Reduced Muscle Weight and Decreased Metabolism
Another result of changes in weight associated with keto is muscle loss. Experts say – particularly if you eat a lot more fat than protein. “You will lose weight, but it might affect your muscle more, this will influence your metabolism as muscle burns more calories than fat.”
It’s often not the same when a person leaves the ketogenic diet and regains much of their former weight: instead of getting lean muscle back, they are likely to recover fat. “Now you have returned to your beginning weight, but you don’t have a mass of muscles anymore to burn the calories you’ve done previously,”
This can have enduring impacts, long-term, on your staying metabolic rate.
07. Enhanced Risk for Diabetes and Heart Disease
Axe claims that the keto diet includes many veggies and lean amounts of animal protein when done correctly. In other words, eating butter and bacon isn’t a justification — but some can try.
That’s why many doctors and nutritionists are anxious about patients who follow the ketogenic diet without consulting a doctor or nutritionist. Doctors say that fatty diets such as this can increase cholesterol levels, and some studies show an increase in diabetes risk. Some even referred to it as ‘cardiologist nightmare“
08. Might Cause Bone Fracture
Patients also have a higher risk of bone fractures. This is due to changes in insulin-like growth factor 1 levels as well as the effects of acidosis. Bone erosion is caused by acidosis, which weakens the bones and leaves them vulnerable to fracture.
The supplement of vitamins and minerals is supplied to patients after a ketogenic diet in order for these side effects to be managed. This generally includes a supplement of multivitamin, calcium, and vitamin D.
In order to put your body into a metabolic condition, you must stick to a very low-carb, high-fat diet. This improves your body’s fat-burning efficiency.
09. Have to Face Keto Breath
When your body enters ketosis, it produces ketones, which are waste products. This includes acetone—yes, the same chemicals that are present in the polished nail remover, which your body does, according to a 2015 scientific review.
“One manner in which ketones are produced from the body is via breathing, and the breath usually has a particular smell different from that of the ordinary foul breath when bacteria build up in the mouth,” It is very common yet uncomfortable for some.
10. Triggers Libido Changes
The keto diet has been in the headlines recently because some experts claim it can trigger libido changes. Do you know: Eating Popcorn can make you skinny.
Dr. Nancy P. Rahnama, a bariatric and internal medicine doctor in California, stated, “The ketogenic diet can undoubtedly result in a decline in libido upon commencing the diet, as the dieter will be suffering symptoms of carb withdrawal and potentially the keto flu. The lower energy, in the beginning, may affect your physical lovemaking drive. However, it needs more research.
11. May Face Constipation
Constipation, including the ketogenic diet, is a common adverse effect of low-carb dietary programs. Ginger Hultin, Seattle-based nutritionist and spokesman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics states that the serious reduction in your carb intake means you’ll say goodbye to rich fiber meals like whole grains, legumes, and a big part of fruit and vegetables.
As the body is low on electrolytes, and liquids can lead to loss of electrolytes such as sodium, magnesium, and potassium on the surface of increased urine. This can lead to acute renal injuries.
12. Kidney Stones
“Dehydration is dangerous because it can cause lightheadedness, renal damage, and kidney stones,”
This can put the dieter in danger of heart arrhythmia, as electrolytes are needed for heart rhythm, Rahnama said.
“Electrolyte deficiency is dangerous because it might cause an erratic heartbeat, which can be fatal,” she warned.
13. Keto Can Lead to Yo-Yo Dieting
As the diet is difficult to follow, it can lead you to yo-yo dieting. “Water losses occur as carbohydrate stores are exhausted, so rapid, significant weight loss is a regular side effect of the keto diet,” adds Clark.
In a research in the United States Journal of Clinical Nutrition, obese men lost around 14 pounds in one month vs a control group that lost approximately 10 pounds on a high-protein, medium-carb diet following a modified version of the ketogenic diet, with high proteins and low carb.
Jalali adds that the weight of persons following a diet is best kept away if they remain there for lengthy periods. And it isn’t always easy to achieve.
If you return to your old eating habits, the weight may return. Furthermore, regaining weight may have other harmful consequences. According to Clark, “chronic yo-yo dieting appears to enhance belly fat storage and diabetes risk.”
“Studies have indicated that dietary ability is more essential than the type of diet that followed,” said Yawitz. You can eat carbohydrates, like many fruits, veggies, and entire grains with the Mediterranean diet. A Mediterranean diet has also been associated with a reduced risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease, and certain types of heart disease and cancer said Mayo Clinic.
Who Can Start Keto Diet?
Not all people, especially with high blood pressure, diabetes, or other diseases due to past diet, are suitable candidates for the keto diet, Rahnama notes.
She also pointed out that this diet can lead to a huge shift for the metabolic and other body systems of many people, which can even impact the efficacy of an individual’s drug if they follow a diet.
Due to the amount of food restriction, patients should be assessed and managed by a physician before beginning a keto diet. You may need to start supplementing an electrolyte or modify any daily amounts of medicine. Have you decided to go on a ketogenic diet?
Before you begin, you should increase your water intake. “Some people may need sodium supplementation unless they have problems such as high blood pressure. Some even need a prescription potassium supplement,” Rahnama said.
She starts to provide magnesium supplements in all keto diet patients because it is a low-risk electrolyte that can be consumed. She also warned that keto dieters could have to increase their carb consumption if they have hydration problems.
#Keto Side Effects: Frequent Question & Answers
01. How long should you stay on keto diet?
There is a huge debate about the time duration of the keto diet. According to Samantha Lynch, R.D.N., “If you want to keep the weight off, you’re going to have to eat well. You can’t go back to your old ways. A diet has an endpoint, and that’s the problem. With a lifestyle, there’s no endpoint. You have to put the work in.” Usually, it takes 4 weeks to see a huge transformation.
Paul Salter, R.D., M.S., founder of Fit in Your Dress agreed with Lynch and added that there is no certain limitation. The author of the Ketogenic Diet: A Scientifically Proven Approach to Fast, Healthy Weight Loss and New York City-based dietitian Kristen Mancinelli, RD recommends sticking to the keto diet for a maximum of three to six months. As long-term research is limited and there is no solid evidence, many registered dietitians think a long-term keto diet can create huge nutrients deficiencies.
02. What are the negative effects of keto diet?
Though the keto diet is a popular diet plan, it has some negative effects on our bodies. People follow ketogenic diets or keto diets in order to lose weight by strictly limiting carbohydrates and enhancing the amount of fat. As a result, this drastic change can cause keto flu. The common symptoms are insomnia, fatigue, nausea and vomiting, endurance issues when exercising, headache, constipation, dizziness, etc.
It is a short-term side effect and can be adjusted in some days to some weeks by taking fluids and electrolytes. A Keto diet can decrease the nutrition like vitamins and minerals in the body. Hence, in the long run, people can face many health issues including kidney stones, hepatic steatosis or fatty liver, hypoproteinemia or low levels of protein in the blood, heart problems, and so on.
03. Is the keto diet safe long term?
Basically, there is no rock-solid evidence of the side effects of the long term keto diet. The experts have been divided into this question. Some think it is not only a diet but also a regular lifestyle. On the other hand, New York City-based dietitian Kristen Mancinelli, RD does not recommend following the keto diet permanently.
Keto diet is a diet plan where you need to intake as low carbs as possible. In order to do that, you might avoid fruits and vegetables containing vital minerals and Vitamins for your body. As a result, this deficiency might create many health issues in the future including kidney-related problems. In addition, high-level consumption of fat can harm your heart and cause cardiovascular diseases.
04. Keto ruined my health how?
Though people follow keto diets for improving their physical and mental state, it has some dangerous effects.
- Fruits and vegetables are the primary source of Vitamins and minerals. This lack of nutritions disturbs the function of the body.
- If you eat less fiber, it will cause digestive problems like constipation, diarrhea and many more.
- Keto diet can create ketoacidosis in people with diabetes. In this situation blood becomes too acidic which harms the liver, kidneys and brain.
- Keto diet can lower muscle mass and reduce metabolism. According to Kristen Kizer, RD, a nutritionist at Houston Methodist Medical Center, “You’ll lose weight, but it might actually be a lot of muscle and because muscle burns more calories than fat, that will affect your metabolism.”
- During the keto diet, the excessive fat can increase the cholesterol level and create heart problems and cardiovascular diseases.
05. Keto diet side effects diarrhea: What to Do?
People following a keto diet might experience diarrhea as a side effect. Here are some tips for solving this problem:
- Eat more fiber: High fiber but low calorie vegetables like Greens, cucumber, broccoli and cabbage can help you to get relief.
- Eat less dairy: As people start eating more dairy products on keto diet, this sudden dietary change may create problems like diarrhea.
- Get easy on diet: Sudden change of diet eventually causes digestive problems. So people should lower carbs and increase fats slowly and steadily.
- Intake more fluid and electrolytes: Diarrhea reduces the fluids and essential electrolytes in the body. So people having diarrhea must drink enough fluids with electrolytes.
- Eat fermented food: Fermented food like sauerkraut, kimchi influences digestion which may decrease diarrhea.
06. Keto diet symptoms?
Here are some common symptoms of ketosis:
- Bad breath: People following a keto diet might experience bad breath because of ketone acetone.
- Losing weight: Keto diet tends to lower weight. It happens rapidly in the first week and then reduces constantly.
- Digestive issues: In keto diet your diet plan changes suddenly. As a result it creates digestive problems like constipation, diarrhea etc.
- Appetite issues: Many people feel less hungry while following a keto diet. The reason is still unknown but some think it is because of the alteration of hunger hormones.
- Enhance ketones in the blood: Measuring ketones in the blood is the most effective and reliable way to measure ketosis.
- Thirst: You might feel thirstier than usual. Keto diet can cause dehydration and lower electrolytes in the body.
07. Long term effects of keto diet
By decreasing electrolytes in our body, the keto diet affects our kidneys and heart viciously. Essential minerals like sodium, magnesium, and potassium go out of our bodies with urine. The Keto diet lowers electrolytes and fluid which can result in serious kidney damage. According to Dr. Nancy P. Rahnama, a bariatric and internal medicine doctor based in California, “Dehydration is serious and may result in lightheadedness, kidney injury or kidney stones.”
In addition, electrolytes are necessary for our normal heartbeat and lack of electrolytes can cause cardiac arrhythmia. She added, “Electrolyte deficiencies are serious and may result in an irregular heartbeat, which can be deadly.” Some experts say keto diets can also decrease bone density. In the future, some people can regain a lot of the weight they had lost as soon as they go back on carbs.
08. Dangers of keto diet (negatives of ketogenic diet)
The popular keto diet has not only pros but also some cons. The negatives of the ketogenic diet are:
- The Keto Flu: Kristen Kizer, RD, a nutritionist at Houston Methodist Medical Center said, “Some people report that when they start ketosis, they just feel sick.” Usually after starting keto diets people feel these symptoms of keto flu including vomit, gastrointestinal distress, a lot of fatigue and lethargy. About 25% of people experience these symptoms.
- ketoacidosis: Keto diet can cause ketoacidosis by which blood becomes too acidic. People having type 1 or type 2 diabete must consult to a doctor before starting keto diet.
- Decreases muscle mass: As the body gets more fat compared to protein, it actually ends up losing muscle mass.
- Weight regain: As soon as you stop the keto diet and start eating carbohydrates, you will gain more weight than before.
09. Keto dry mouth effect solution?
Dry mouth or xerostomia is one of the most annoying side effects of the keto diet which may irritate you and hamper your day-to-day work. Here are some solutions that might help you to get rid of it.
- Drink more fluid: Dehydration can cause keto dry mouth effect. Your body loses lots of water while keto dieting. Hence, drinking more water will fulfill that scarcity.
- Get more electrolytes: Essential minerals like magnesium, potassium, sodium went out with water. So supplementary electrolytes should be taken as a part of hydration.
- Oral rinse: Oral rinse not only refreshes your mouth but also influences salivary glands to activate. But you need to check that oral rinse must be alcohol free as alcohol can cause mouth drying.
- Sugar free gum: Though gum removes bad breath and dry mouth, the sugar can affect your keto diet plan. So you can try sugar free gum instead.
- Say no to caffeine: By reducing salivary flow, caffeine can cause dry mouth. So you should avoid coffee, energy drinks and caffeine based food.
10. Keto bhb side effects
BHB or beta-hydroxybutyrate is one kind of ketone that is produced naturally while breaking down fat in our body. Nowadays BHB supplements are available in the market and people can take them while on a ketogenic diet. BHB supplements can help you to get to ketosis quickly so that fat can burn down fast. But it has some side effects too. Like many other supplements, BHB supplements also hamper our GI system in the body. It mainly happens when you start to take large doses.
So you can start with a smaller dose and make your body adjust with this. As BHB supplement tends to get our body to ketosis, you might experience keto flu at the initial stage. As side effects, you could experience dry mouth, bad breath, muscle cramps, and headaches. These effects are very mild. Though BHB supplement does not cause serious beta-hydroxybutyrate side effects, people with high blood pressure must consult a doctor before taking BHB supplement.
11. Side effects of keto pills (keto pills side effects)
As the keto diet became popular, many companies started to launch keto pills as a supplement. But before spending your money on them, you should know the keto weight loss pills side effects
- Harm your metabolism: By having keto pills, ketone level is raised in our blood and reduced appetite in the initial stage. Eventually, satiety hormones are increased while hunger hormones decrease. But as soon as you stop taking these, hormones will increase and you will feel hungrier than before.
- Effect of digestion: One of the keto pill side effects that you must be aware of is digestive problems. Many supplements actually contain MCT oil or Medium Chain Triglycerides such as KetoLogic’s KetoMeal, keto friendly bulletproof coffee etc. You might experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and constipation by taking them.
- Expense: Keto pills are way more expensive than you might think. For example, one container of Ketologic will cost you 100 dollars per container and Ketoburn is 40 dollars per container.
- Others: You might feel some mild keto pills side effects like headache, anxiety, mild muscle aches, weakness and so on.
12. Constipation on keto diet (keto constipation)
Keto and constipation are related to each other. A Keto diet means reducing carbs consumption and increase eating fats. A sudden change of diet can cause keto constipation. To follow the diet, high-fat proteins and dairy are mainly eaten and foods with high even medium carbs are strictly forbidden. Hence you might need to give up fruits, vegetables, grains, etc which are rich in fiber. So this lack of fiber in the stomach cannot create soft stools and ends in causing constipation.
Zandra Palma, M.D., a functional medicine expert at Parsley Health says, “Reducing prebiotic fiber can alter the composition and diversity of species of bacteria that live in our large intestine.” As a result, it causes many GI discomfort including constipation keto. To solve this problem Dr. Palma says, “the most medicinal way to approach a ketogenic diet is by embracing colorful, fibrous-rich vegetables and greens as the base for each meal.”
13. Keto genix side effects
It is claimed that Keto Genix is a natural dietary supplement that assists in losing weight quickly and safely. Even though it is said to be a vegan and vegetarian dietary supplement, it contains gelatin which is a protein-made product. It is popular with people who are currently following the keto diet and it is used as a supplement. Although it is claimed to have minimal to zero side effects, users have experienced a few side effects. It might affect your digestive system and cause nausea.
Other than that people experienced some mild problems such as dizziness, headache, chills, fever, heart palpitation, and so on. It is recommended to elderly people, people under the age of eighteen, pregnant, and nursing mothers not to take Keto Genix. People are warned to avoid the overdose of this product as it may cause adverse effects instead. Lastly, it can be expensive for you like other supplements.
14. One shot keto side effects
One-shot keto is the latest weight loss supplement or keto pill which gained popularity within a short time. But unlike the other weight loss supplements, it has very mild keto pill side effects except for keto flu. It is claimed that it is made with natural safe ingredients and is 100% safe to use. This great alternative to traditional weight loss supplements has minimal amount if not zero side effects.
The only major side effect found is keto flu which happens in the initial stage of the keto diet in general. In addition, you might feel some minor side effects such as nausea, dizziness, tiredness, or a common cold. Nevertheless, they are very rare and easily go away. In a nutshell, it is claimed that one shot keto is unprecedentedly safe for our body which does not pose any serious threat to our health.
15. Pruvit keto side effects
After the keto diet gained popularity, various kinds of keto-friendly supplements came into the market. Among them, Prüvit Keto OS is certainly the leading one made by the Prüvit company. But before buying them you must know the side effects of Prüvit Keto OS.
- Bad breath: As Ketogenic diet increases the ketone levels, Prüvit Keto OS causes bad breath.
- Digestive problem: Keto supplements like Prüvit Keto can cause digestive issues such as diarrhea, stomach pain, gas and many more.
- Reduce blood sugar: Another side effect of Prüvit Keto OS is that it lowers the blood sugar level of the body. So people with diabetes must consult with doctors before taking it.
- Displeasing taste: Though ketone salts are much more tolerable to drink than ketone esters, the main complaint of Keto OS consumers is that the supplement has an unpleasant taste.
- Too expensive: Prüvit company suggests taking two servings of Keto OS every day for “optimal performance.” by which you need to spend around 182 dollars for two weeks.
16. Keto fast side effects
Doing intermittent fasting and the keto diet together is the hottest trend nowadays. Usually, those who are extremely worried about their weight or want to reduce weight quickly follow this diet plan. But does it pose any risk? Well, it actually depends on people.
Eventually pregnant and breastfeeding women and those with a history of disordered is recommended to avoid it. In addition, people with diabetes and heart issues must consult to a doctor before getting into it. Some might face other side effects like fall start overeating on non-fasting days, irritability, and fatigue. As you are fasting and doing a keto diet at the same time, your body might get a shortage of nutrition.
In order to lose weight, you could lose too much weight and lean mass or muscle from the body. Dominic D’Agostino, Ph.D., associate professor at the University of South Florida in Tampa and founder of KetoNutrition.org recommends having at least 1 g per kilogram of body weight in protein every day.
17. Low carb side effects
People often tend to move on a low-carb diet for losing weight. Nevertheless, it has some serious side effects.
- Constipation: Eating low carbs means you have lowered consuming fiber which results in decreasing effectiveness of your digestive tract. As a result you might face the problems of constipation.
- Brain issues: It is not surprising to feel a little fuzzy when you are on a low carb diet. A study published in Appetite in 2009 shows that those on a low carb diet performed worse on memory based tasks compared to the group of balanced diet with reduced calorie.
- Heart issues: Low carb diet can seriously damage your heart. Cardiologist Xiaodong Zhuang, MD, PhD stated, “Low carbohydrate diets were associated with increased risk of incident [atrial fibrillation] regardless of the type of protein or fat used to replace the carbohydrate.”
Deficiency of nutritions: Usually most of the fruits and vegetables contain tons of Vitamins and minerals. So avoiding this may create a deficiency of nutrition in your body.